In Founder Focus we introduce entrepreneurs and change-makers working on innovative startups, social enterprises and SME’s around Aotearoa New Zealand.
At a glance
Founder: Greg Harrison
Can you tell us a bit about your business?
The doshdown jacket is a unique product in the marketplace combining the concepts of a waterproof jacket and sleeping bag into one versatile product.
The concept underpinning the business plan is that of having a quality, unique product that speaks for itself and causes its customers to rave about the product causing cost effective “word of mouth” marketing which drives organic sales.
The initial marketplace will be New Zealand and Australia. With the combined marketplaces and demographics across which the product will appeal, there would be millions of potential customers. This would allow for a modest start of 500 units per month to double year on year and still represent less than 1% of the total potential market.
The product is manufactured in China and shipped from China using a fulfilment company allowing for a simple cost effective and highly scalable e-commerce business model.
Our company philosophy:
- To offer a quality product with a novelty factor that is much cheaper than a traditional quality jacket / sleeping bag combo
- Offer free shipping (costed into the price)
- Hold itself out as a waste minimisation company that manufactures to order
- Use 3PL logistics model
- Eventually move to bulk purchase own warehouse model
- Concentrate on excellent customer service and communications
- Use sustainable materials
- Quality, innovation and sustainability are the companies underpinning philosophies
What’s the backstory for your business idea?
I came up with the idea after watching a sports team travelling with dozens of bulky sleeping bags and thinking there must be a better more practical solution.
What programmes, learning or mentoring, or resources have been of assistance so far?
I hired a fashion designer to create the tech pack that I could utilise to get a quote from a factory.