Founders: Emma and Mark Black
Tell us about your business.
At CloudmyStaff we are focussed on providing our clients with a user-friendly, simple approach to all HR and Health & Safety functions by providing accessible tools for staff at all levels across an organisation.
Who and where are your target customers?
Small to medium-sized businesses in New Zealand.
How and when did you first come up with the idea for your business?
CloudmyStaff is the brainchild of myself and my husband, Mark Black. After years of struggling with ageing international solutions, we decided it was time that a home-grown solution, built by Kiwis for Kiwis was needed. New Zealand is a pretty special little place, things get done a special way around here, and we want to make sure “she’ll be right” is the same as “she’ll be legal and acting in good faith“.
What are your three biggest unique selling points?
- We keep things simple for our clients. Our software enables everyone across an organisation to have the HR and H&S tools they need
- We know what we are talking about. We have extensive knowledge across HR and H&S in NZ
- Our product is made for Kiwis, by Kiwis
What are three things about your business that you are proud of?
- The relationships we are able to build with our clients and our network
- What arose from a level of frustration has led to a pretty awesome product
- The service and support we are able to offer our clients
How do you market your business and what advice do you have for others around marketing?
Utilising our networks, word of mouth and putting ourselves out there. If you don’t ask, you won’t know if an opportunity exists or not!
What’s been the biggest challenge you’ve faced in building your business so far?
Realising the true value we offer businesses. Building momentum with our client base was slow and steady but we’re now growing fast!
What is the biggest entrepreneur lesson you would like to share with other Kiwis thinking of starting their own business?
Look inside your own network for advice and guidance. We looked for help from all sorts of external sources, only to realise we had amazing support and mentors right in front of our faces.