In Founder Focus we introduce entrepreneurs and change-makers working on innovative startups, social enterprises and SME’s around Aotearoa New Zealand.
At a glance
Founder: Melitta Adam
Business: Melitta Skin
Can you tell us a bit about your business?
At Melitta Skin, we’re on a mission to shake up the sun care industry by addressing the issue of frequent sunscreen reapplication. Shockingly, a staggering 90% of sunscreens only protect your skin for up to two hours, leaving a significant gap in protection. With our team’s collective experience of over five years in the cosmetic industry, we are thrilled to introduce Glowguard – our solution which offers double the current market protection rate.
We have worked closely with Australia’s Eurofins Labs to develop Glowguard in compliance with the world’s strictest SPF guidelines. However, we believe that sunscreen should offer more than just protection. We are proud to be one of the first sun care brands to offer refillable packaging and four adaptable shades that complement all skin tones.
What’s the backstory for your business idea?
I’ve always had a dream of launching a skincare line. Yet, the daunting flood of products on the market, combined with the staggering 120 billion units of cosmetic waste ending up in landfills annually, held me back.
But as I delved deeper into the industry, conducting hundreds of skincare consultations and collaborating closely with industry experts, my true passion emerged: sunscreen. Amidst the sea of trends and fads, sunscreen stood out as a powerhouse – addressing a striking 80% of skin issues stemming from UV damage.
The pivotal role of sunscreen in skincare routines cannot be overstated. It’s the unsung hero, the silent protector that underpins skin health. However, there lay a problem – most of my clients loathed it. Understandably so. The constant reapplication every two hours, the tacky textures, and the awareness that 80% of people underapply it made it a hard sell.
What programmes, learning or mentoring, or resources have been of assistance so far?
- We have been fortunate enough to start forming relationships with organisations such as Melanoma NZ, senior dermatologists from Waikato Hospital, and the Auckland City Council Waste Plants.
- Adam McConnochie, cofounder of oral care business Solid, brings his extensive experience and values-driven mindset to mentor Melitta Skin. With a focus on values and promoting sustainable practices, Adam’s provides unique insights for Melitta Skin’s drawing from his experiences in the New Zealand ecosystem. His background in entrepreneurship, and leadership, along with his extensive network is invaluable to offering guidance on strategic decision-making.
- Business development and market validation through Velocity 100K Launchpad Accelerator programme.
- Coaching through Creative HQ YF Accelerator programme.
- Support and financial backing Prince’s Trust He Kākano seed fund.