In Founder Focus we introduce entrepreneurs and change-makers working on innovative startups, social enterprises and SME’s around Aotearoa New Zealand.
At a glance
Founder: Melanie Butzbach
Business: Bedrock by Melanie
Can you tell us a bit about your business?
Welcome to Bedrock, the foundation for natural beauty – a range of professional, natural, vegan, planet friendly and cruelty free cosmetics designed and made here in New Zealand.
I am a Mother of two with a huge passion for fusing products that are natural and organic whilst helping people to look and feel their best.
Bedrock is a product that I am so very proud of. Currently I sell online but I’m also looking forward to providing wholesale for makeup artists, beauty salons, boutique stores and more. I wanted my makeup to be easy to use and also provide optimal skin health so I went in search of the perfect team of scientists and laboratories here in New Zealand. After three years of research and development Bedrock was created. A formulation that is packed full of skin loving ingredients that your body will love. Nourishing Vitamins and Powerful Antioxidants that can help boost cell rejuvenation and reduce the signs of aging. I want to give everyone the confidence to bring out their natural beauty with a clear conscience and without compromising on the aesthetic or final composition of the product.
When you choose Bedrock, you are making a conscious decision to look after your skin and health, whilst helping protect our precious planet.
What’s the backstory for your business idea?
For years I’ve been working with clients who’ve shared their struggles to find makeup that not only looks good but easy to use and still natural and environmentally responsible. This fuelled a desire to find a better, natural, sustainable, high end luxury range of makeup.
I have spent years researching and trialling products from around the world that the same ethos that I so strongly care about, but I’ve never had much success in finding that ‘perfect’ product. During this research, I also discovered many dark secrets within the beauty industry. Many products contained potentially health damaging, harsh and toxic chemicals. Not to mention the excessive plastics that are filling up our landfills and clogging up our oceans, drinking water and food supply. So with a desire to help the makeup and beauty industry do better, this gave me the impetus to create Bedrock by Melanie.
What programmes, learning or mentoring, or resources have been of assistance so far?
- Being in the industry myself for 24 years I’ve gained so much knowledge on products and how they should look and feel, I just needed help with where to start.
- Google was a big part, I researched everything on how to start an online business, social media help, marketing tips etc.
- I also attended a few of ANZ’s free seminars on starting business.
- I spoke to clients that had successful businesses and I belong to a networking group in my area where we swap tips and share ideas.
- On Facebook I joined networking pages like ‘Women in Business’.
- I’m still learning and I love that. It’s a forever changing industry that I plan to be a big part of.