Who: PopUp Business School Aotearoa
What: Accelerator, Learning & Mentoring
PopUp Business School Aotearoa (PUBSA) is a FREE to attend 10-day 20-workshop start-up accelerator focused on supporting small business owners to get their business idea off the ground or an existing business owner to accelerate their business. The programme is also provided in 5 and 7 day formats. All courses are offered either online or venue based.
WHO DO YOU WORK WITH AND WHAT KEY CHALLENGES DO YOU HELP THEM SOLVE?
1) Entrepreneurs – who are willing to ‘start now’ or are in the process of planning their new business.
Our FREE to attend course enables attendees who feel that they might not otherwise get a chance to start their business, not only attend for free, but learn how to set up their business with little to no cost.
PUBSA does not advocate going into business with debt. Many of our graduate business owners were unemployed, do not have university degrees and over 70% (on average) of our attendees are women from a raft of ethnicities.
2) Existing business owners – who are looking for help, knowledge and support to grow their business.
3) Economic Development Agencies – to support the economic growth of regions across Aotearoa through small business. Examples are: ATEED, WellingtonNZ, Whanganui & Partners.
4) Corporates – who are looking to support regional economic growth through Small Business and who are also looking to support social impact through corporate social responsibility initiatives.
5) Government – small business continues to be a focal point for economic growth. PUBSA works closely with different Government Ministries to support initiatives in employment, business tools and process and the provision of information to support sustainable small business growth.
6) Philanthropic Organisations – who are looking to support social impact through regional economic development across Aotearoa. The wider social impact is on the lives of the budding entrepreneurs and their whanau.
- Accelerator programme
- Startup courses e.g. group programmes, workshops
- Mentoring, coaching or advisory services (Partner with Business Mentors New Zealand, MBIE as examples)
- Free and discounted entrepreneur resources e.g. Business Games (Gamification of Business),
- Free and Discounted Business Tools accessible through an Alumni Portal.
PopUp Business School Aotearoa is a FREE to attend 10-day, 20-workshop business building provider. The programme is also provided in 5 and 7 day formats. All courses are offered either online or venue based.
- The quickest way to start a business
- Sales and the dark art of marketing
- Building websites and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Compliance: The legal bit – taxes and business structures
- The ins and outs of pricing and business models
- Hacking projects for entrepreneurs
Resources are provided FREE to Alumni (graduates) of the PopUp Business School Aotearoa. The Alumni Programme, Changing Room, 360 Support and Business Park are unique to the Alumni of the PopUp Business School Aotearoa. The Longitudinal Study based on economic and capability impact as PUBSA measures the result, year-on-year attendee business building activity. Origin Stories was introduced to provide inspiration to entrepreneurs from the start-up stories of other entrepreneurs.
www.bizeziapp.com is a global app gamifying Business Plan and Business Model development for the entrepreneur. Free to Alumni in New Zealand, the UK, US and Europe, this app can be subscribed to online also raises funds for Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders).
We have recently enabled two new programmes through Bizezi. Both are designed to engage entrepreneurs and existing business owners to really explore their business model, business strengths and weaknesses, financials and magically have their business plan appear for them to tweak for investors, suppliers, banks, financiers.
The Business Plan Blitz is a one-day intensive enabling business owners to build their business plan in a day. More information on The Blitz can be found here: https://www.popupbusinessschool.nz/services.html
The 90 Day Challenge can be found here: https://bizeziapp.com/90-day-business-challenge
PopUp Business School Aotearoa has forged a niche in the New Zealand business ecosystem. We have secured funding from government, regional, district council and corporate enabling attendees to come for FREE.
PUBSA continues to introduce tools and business activities to PopUp Business School Alumni to aid their business sustainability. Bizezi (www.bizeziapp.com) was released in late 2019 and the PopUp Business Park (an online portal for Alumni businesses) will release in the second quarter of 2020.
PUBSA does not look to compete with existing business ecosystem providers, rather we look to complement their business activity. We look for a deep alignment to regional strategic business growth objectives and alignment to Sustainable Development Goals set by the United Nations and signed to by New Zealand.
While I could add more, we believe it is incumbent on business owners that as they construct their businesses to:
- Integrate their business across ethnicity, gender and culture (customers come from everywhere).
Integrate with the existing business ecosystem wherever PUBSA runs its programme.
- Build their business leadership with a model that adds value to employees, customers, suppliers and supports collaboration in business.
- Looks to make a social impact through business development. As an example, PUBSA are advocates for NZ Blood service and we promote this wherever we go. Additionally, we are strong supporters of New Zealand born charity: One Percent Collective
WHAT EXCITES YOUR TEAM ABOUT THE WORK YOU DO?
As our events are FREE to attendees, our vision for communities across Aotearoa is the regional growth we can support through small business. Importantly though, we never know who will turn up at a PopUp course and the excitement and engagement through ideation to small business creation is inspiring and uplifting.
The positive impact on individuals, their whanau and the community are what we can get excited about over and over again. We get truly excited seeing passion mixed with practicality to build sustainable business.
And then there is our Alumni programme adding tools, processes and connections into the mix. Our statistics show that attendee’s gender, age and ethnicity mean a true cross section of community are represented in business creation in Aotearoa. No wonder we get excited.
WHAT MESSAGE WOULD YOU LIKE TO SHARE WITH THE NZ ENTREPRENEUR COMMUNITY?
New Zealand has been built on the back of a pioneering entrepreneurial spirit. From the get go our forefathers forged trade across ethnicity and global boundaries growing a business culture that is unique to New Zealand.
The opportunities to be in business through all fields of endeavor continue to be presented to those who would explore business opportunities; not just in tech, but in medicine, food, craft, beauty, the arts, music, sport, food and more…
New Zealand does have a ‘give it a go’ or even a ‘#8 fencing wire – DIY’ mentality and yet New Zealand is also ranked at the very highest level of ethics in business globally. I believe this says a lot about who we are as a people.
PUBSA is empowered by the legacy of our forefathers and the importance of bringing that same ‘grit and determination’ to the start-up business community; and being seen as a valued partner in the New Zealand business ecosystem.
GET IN TOUCH