Founder: Mel Buddhdev
Tell us about your business.
Holiday Swap is a site where people swap their home or holiday home with other homeowners throughout New Zealand. It enables people to have very affordable holidays all over New Zealand and possibly in other countries.
Who and where are your target customers?
Home and/or holiday homeowners throughout New Zealand.
How and when did you first come up with the idea for your business?
A relative was visiting New Zealand, and I wanted to take them to see another part of the country. We have a bach in Northland but she had already been there. I started thinking that surely there must be others like me who love their holiday home but fancy a change sometimes. I posted requests on a few different Facebook pages, and after a long search found someone on Waiheke who was willing to swap their bach with ours. The idea for Holiday Swap was born.
What are your three biggest unique selling points?
- We are New Zealand based – we understand how people holiday in New Zealand.
- We offer ID verification.
- The first year’s membership is free!
What are three things about your business that you are proud of?
- That I had an idea and actually did something about it. It’s easy not to bother.
- People are signing up and adding some great properties. We currently have over 280 homes listed.
- Members are swapping already and we’re getting some really good feedback. This is also creating an awesome community of like-minded people.
What is the biggest entrepreneur lesson you would like to share with other Kiwis thinking of starting their own business?
Have an idea? Give it a go. You will only spend the rest of your life thinking… if only!